TYPE OF BOOK
The FAC History Book Committee members have agreed that the book should be a compendium of previously unpublished stories and photographs with only enough textbook-type history to bind the stories together. Predominantly, you FACs will write the stories, but stories written by other people about FACs, such as fighter, transport or helicopter crews and ground troops will also be included. Our reason for this approach is that most of us viewed the war from a fairly low level, no pun intended, and many others have well documented the political and strategic aspects of the war.
Therefore, it will be your book and contain your stories and pictures. But it will only happen if you take the time to dig out your pictures and write the stories and then send them in to the book committee. It will be your book, with the committees help, not the committees book. Every story received will be considered for inclusion.
None of the committee members have the time, facilities or inclination to do all of the research required for an eleven-year history, involving thousands of people and many thousands of stories. Therefore, the size and shape of the finished book will depend on you and the number of inputs the committee receives. Stories may vary from a couple of paragraphs to several pages in length and be on any subject you choose. You may write a story about a single event or a review of your entire tour. Here are some suggestions to help start your mental engines:
- First Impressions of Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/Thailand
- My FAC Claim to Fame
- Most Memorable/Dangerous/Unusual Mission
- My Best/Worst Mission
- Most Humorous Experience/Mission/Event
- Getting Combat Ready
- The Smartest/Dumbest Thing I Ever Saw (or Did)
- Lessons Learned
- Most Unforgettable Person
- Remember When?
- Special Assignments/Duties
- The Highlight of My FAC Tour
- Pet Peeves/Favorite Pastime/Leisure Time Activities
- What I Loved/Hated about my Aircraft/Job
- Significant Social, Political, Economic, Sport, Entertainment Events.
History Book Page